24 Hour News 8 web staff - MUSKEGON, Mich. (WOOD) -- A retired Muskegon County sheriff's sergeant has died after a battle with cancer.
The sheriff's office posted Wednesday evening on its Facebook page that Patrick Herremans was with his family when he died.
"Please keep Pat's family in your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time," the post read in part.
According to a GoFundMe account created in January 2017 to help cover his medical expenses, Herremans had esophageal cancer that spread to his lymphatic system.
He GoFundMe account said Herremans served his community for more than 20 years. He leaves behind two sons.
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Chance of precipitation Saturday morning
- Storms in Southern and Southeastern U.S.
- Historic church to get new life as community center
- KDPS: Missing woman doesn't have meds