GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - The Michigan Department of Transportation will suspend some road work this Labor Day weekend, but there will still be lane closures across the state.
AAA Michigan says 1.2 million people will travel this holiday weekend, according to a Wednesday MDOT news release.
To ease traffic, lane restrictions in 96 of MDOT 140 active projects -- particularly on state roads and bridges -- will be lifted between 3 a.m. Friday and 6 a.m. Tuesday.
But 44 projects will still have restrictions in place. MDOT urges drivers to be careful of workers and lane shifts in construction zones.
A list of active restrictions, courtesy MDOT:
I-96 in Crockery Township, Ottawa County, has one lane open in each direction with a traffic shift. The following ramps will be closed:
- The 112th Avenue ramp to westbound I-96;
- The westbound I-96 ramp to M-104 in Nunica; and
- The M-104 (Cleveland Street)/120th Avenue ramp to westbound I-96.
- M-11 (28th Street) in Wyoming, Kent County, has one lane open in each direction from Michael/DeHoop Avenue to US-131. Clyde Park Avenue is closed at M-11.
US-131 in Grand Rapids, Kent County, has two northbound lanes open between I-196 and Ann Street, and all southbound lanes open. The following ramps will be closed:
- The eastbound I-196 ramp to northbound US-131; and
- The Leonard Street/Scribner Avenue ramp to northbound US-131.
Northern Lower Michigan
- I-75 north of Grayling, Crawford County, will have all lanes open in each direction. However, no overwide loads are permitted.
- M-37/M-115 intersection near Mesick, Wexford County, will have shoulder closures and narrow lanes.
- M-65, Alpena County, is closed over the Thunder Bay River with traffic detoured.
- M-65 in Whittemore, Iosco County, will have traffic shifts and a 10-foot width restriction.
- US-31, Grand Traverse County, will have one lane open over Tobeco Creek controlled by a temporary traffic signal.
- I-94, Berrien County, will have two lanes open in each direction between Sawyer and Bridgman.
- I-94, Berrien County, will have two lanes open in each direction over Hickory Creek between St. Joseph and Stevensville.
- I-194 in Battle Creek, Calhoun County, will have one lane open in each direction from Columbia Road to Hamblin Street.
- M-43, St. Joseph County, will have lane and ramp closures at US-131; all lanes will be open on US-131.
- US-12 in New Buffalo, Berrien County, will have one lane open in each direction at the I-94 interchange. One lane will be open over the Galien River bridge east of Hoder Road.
More information on MDOT construction sites
11 fire departments from several counties were called out to a fire at an adult entertainment club Wednesday afternoon.
Holland police were searching for 28-year-old Mark Steven Randall Harris, who was considered armed and dangerous, but arrested him late Wednesday night.
Those receiving the 2013 White House holiday card will see a design made by a Grand Rapids artist.