GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - In the past two weeks, meter readers for Consumers Energy have been attacked by dogs six times and a total of 14 times since the beginning of 2012, the company said in a Friday release.
In this year's attacks, they said, five of their employees were hurt and required medical treatment for wounds and infections.
The company said meter readers now carry dog wands - one of which looks like a stick with a tennis ball at the end - to distract a dog during an attack.
Meter readers won't enter a yard when there is an unleashed dog. Company officials ask their customers to make sure dogs are on a leash or confined away from natural gas and electric meters.
A mechanic was rammed through the back door of a lube shop after being hit by a customer's SUV.
Next September, tobacco use will be banned on all Western Michigan University campuses.
A relative of a panhandler struck by a car says some of the blame belongs to those who give.