KEELER TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) - A concerned woman's call to police helped prevent her husband and the couple's two sons from becoming fatal victims of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The man's wife, who was in Illinois at the time, called police around 5:20 p.m. Sunday after not being able to get in contact with the males, who were expected home around 11 a.m. She requested police to check on the welfare of her 45-year-old husband, and their 11- and 13-year-old sons.
A Van Buren County sheriff's deputy arrived at family's residence in the 95000 block of West Avenue near Magician Lake in Keeler Township.
The deputy saw the younger boy asleep in the living room. The boy got up and looked at the deputy at the door, then laid down again, according to a news release.
After several minutes, the deputy was able to convince the 11-year-old to open the front door.
The boy told the deputy his dad didn't want to come outside. The deputy told the boy that his mom was calling from Illinois, wanting to make sure everyone was OK.
The boy then allowed the deputy in the home. The deputy went to awake the boys' father who was asleep and semi-conscious in the master bedroom.
After the father came out of his room, the 13-year-old son came stumbling from the bathroom area where he had been asleep on the floor, police said.
The deputy knew something was medically wrong with the residents, so he called Dispatch to send an ambulance to the scene.
Police called the man's wife who said her husband complained the night before that the furnace was not working properly.
The dad and his sons were transported to Borgess-Lee Memorial Hospital in Dowagiac. The father was then transferred to Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital in Grand Rapids where he was released Monday morning. The two boys were transferred to the Children's Pediatric Unit at Bronson Methodist Hospital in Kalamazoo where they are in stable condition.
A sheriff's deputy car and a Michigan State Police SUV were among the damaged vehicles.
Broadmoor Avenue has reopened after it was shut down due to a four-vehicle crash in Caledonia.
The extravaganza was Dec. 11, 2013 in downtown Grand Rapids.