Here is a list of some of the many Memorial Day 2013 events taking place around West Michigan. All events are scheduled for Monday, May 27 unless otherwise marked.
- Douglas: 10 a.m.
- Saugatuck: 9 a.m.
- Wayland: 11 a.m. Starting at the Wayland State Police Post and concluding at the Wayland VFW.
- Middleville: 10:30 a.m.
- Ionia: Parade line-up is a 9 a.m., for participants, and marching along Main Street. Memorial Ceremonies will take place at the Ionia Armory at 10 a.m., and at the Ionia County Courthouse front lawn at 10:30 a.m.
- Kalamazoo: 10 a.m. parade begins downtown on Michigan Avenue and ends on Riverview Drive in front of the cemetery. A Memorial day ceremony will follow.
- Vicksburg: 10 a.m. parade begins at the Old El, memorial service at 10:40 a.m. in the Highway Street Cemetery.
- Alpine Township: 11 a.m. commemoration at Pine Grove Cemetery on Vinton NW.
- Caledonia: Parade from Kinsey and Main to the Caledonia Lakeside Cemetery at noon. Earlier ceremonies at these cemeteries on Monday:
- Alaska at 9 a.m.
- Blaine at 9:45 a.m.
- Dutton at 10:30 a.m.
- Holy Corners at 11:15 a.m.
- Grand Rapids: 10 a.m. parade starting down Division to Fulton and ending at Veterans Memorial Park
- Rockford: 9 a.m. downtown.
- Walker: Noon parade down Lake Michigan Drive.
- Wyoming: 7 p.m. ceremony at Veteran's Memorial Garden, adjacent from the Wyoming Police Department.
- Muskegon: 10:30 a.m. Lakeside Veterans Club Memorial Day Parade on Lakeshore Drive.
- Grand Haven : 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. The Coast Guard color guard of Grand Haven will lead the parade down Washington Street from 6th Street to Harbor Drive and into the Waterfront Stadium. A short ceremony honoring our deceased veterans will follow.
- Holland: 9:30 a.m.The annual Memorial Day Parade in Downtown Holland travels from Eighth Street and Central Avenue East to Columbia Avenue, then South to 16th Street and East the the Pilgrim Home Cemetery. A brief ceremony will be held in the cemetery upon arrival of parade procession.
- Hudsonville : 10 a.m. Memorial Day Service at Veteran's Park
- Jenison: 9 a.m. Parade down Baldwin from 29th to Cottonwood Drive.
- Spring Lake: 10:30 a.m. Parade starts Buchanan and Exchange Streets and goes east, then turns south on Lake Avenue, then turns east onto River Street, then north onto Fruitport Road. Ending at Spring Lake Township Cemetery.
- Zeeland: 9 a.m. Parade starts at Main Avenue at Centennial Street, heads west to State Street, south to Central Avenue and east on Central Avenue to Maple Street. A ceremony will follow at the Lincoln Street Cemetery.
**Please note this is not a complete list of every event in West Michigan. Add information about your local parade or ceremony in the comments below.
Organizers say it would mark the largest effort yet in a push for higher pay.
A fire damaged a vacant house in Kalamazoo, and the cause is being ruled as suspicious.
A man is in police custody following an hours-long standoff in Grand Rapids.