GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - The Michigan Department of Transportation will invest $193 million in West Michigan in 2013.
Of that, $100 million will go to improve 191 miles of road and 25 bridges in Ionia, Kent, Mecosta, Montcalm, Muskegon, Newaygo, Oceana and Ottawa counties, according to a Wednesday MDOT release.
Among those projects is the overhaul to 28th Street between Burton Road and I-96. Lane closures for that project started Wednesday.
The other $93 million is devoted to the new M-231 route, which will include two miles of new road and five new bridges as well as an interchange with I-96, M-104 and 112th Avenue.
Major 2013 construction projects, courtesy MDOT:
- I-96: A $2.6 million investment to replace the two I-96 bridges over the Portland Trail with a pedestrian box culvert in Portland. Work began last year and will be finished this June.
- I-96: A $2 million investment to repair concrete joints from the Kent/Ionia county line east to the Saranac Rest Area; June-July.
- US-131: A $7 million investment to improve safety and operations along northbound US-131 by connecting the Leonard Street on ramp to the Ann Street off ramp in the city of Grand Rapids. Work has begun and will be completed this October.
- M-11 (28th Street): A $9 million investment to reconstruct M-11 from Patterson Avenue to I-96, as well as resurface M-11 from Breton Avenue east to Patterson Avenue in the cities of Grand Rapids and Kentwood, and Cascade Township. Work has begun and will be completed this October.
- I-196: A $5 million project to repair and preserve the eastbound and westbound I-196 bridges over the Grand River near Market Avenue in the city of Grand Rapids; April-July.
- M-11 (28th Street): A $1 million project to reconstruct the intersection at Clyde Park Avenue in the city of Wyoming; June-September.
- M-44 Connector (Plainfield Avenue): A $2.5 project to resurface Plainfield Avenue from I-96 northeast to Airway Street (just north of 5 Mile Road) in Grand Rapids and Plainfield Township; June-August.
- I-196: A $500,000 investment to resurface I-196 from Lane Avenue east to the Grand River in the city of Grand Rapids; July-September.
- US-131: A $6 million investment to reconstruct southbound US-131 from 13 Mile Road to 6 Mile Road in Big Rapids and Mecosta townships; June-October.
- US-131: A $855,000 investment to restore the northbound and southbound US-131 bridges over the Little Muskegon River south of Morley in Aetna Township; April-July.
- M-66: A $2.3 million investment to resurface M-66 from Condensery Road to the north village limits of Sheridan; June-October.
- I-96: A $1.7 million investment to resurface 8.4 miles of westbound I-96 from US-31 to the bridge over the GTW Railroad (abandoned) in Fruitport Township in Muskegon County and Crockery Township in Ottawa County; July-August.
- I-96: A $1 million investment to install new freeway lighting at the US-31/I-96 interchange in Fruitport and Muskegon townships. Work has already begun and will be finished in July.
- US-31: A $600,000 investment to restore the Shettler Road bridge over US-31 in Fruitport and Muskegon townships; July-October.
- US-31: A $2.7 million project to replace the deck on the Winston Road bridge over US-31 in Grant Township; April-June/September-October.
- US-31: A $1 million investment to restore the Hayes Road bridge over US-31 in Shelby Township; September-November.
- M-231: A project to construct 2 miles of a new M-231 route including five new bridges and a new interchange with I-96, M-104 and 112th Avenue near Nunica in Crockery Township. Three other bridges will be repaired: Apple Drive over I-96, and east-bound and westbound I-96 over M-104 (Cleveland Street); February-November.
- I-196: A $2.5 million investment to resurface 6.6 miles of I-196 from the Allegan/Ottawa county line to 64th Avenue, and restore the 96th Avenue bridge over I-196 in Zeeland Township; May-September.
- I-196: A $1.7 million investment to restore the 8th Avenue and Kenowa Avenue bridges over I-196 in Georgetown Township; June-September.
- US-31: A $900,000 project to repair and preserve the Ridge Street and Taft Street bridges over US-31 in Spring Lake Township; April-July.
In all, MDOT maintains 3,042 lane miles of state roadways as well as 748 bridges and culverts in the region.
A baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex ceremony must serve gay couples despite his religious beliefs or face fines, a judge said Friday.
Former UAW President Owen Bieber, now retired and living in Dorr Township, was wide-eyed at the magnitude of the moment. Nelson Mandela, just out of a South African prison, meeting another civil rights icon -- Rosa Parks -- at the Detroit …
A Grand Rapids sex offender has been charged with another crime against a young girl.