SPRINGFIELD, Mich. (WOOD) - A resident died after a Battle Creek-area senior home was evacuated due to a bomb threat -- now, the Calhoun County prosecutor says, a homicide charge is possible.
The Evergreen Senior Care and Rehab in Springfield was evacuated early Monday afternoon after someone called and said a bomb would go off there at 1 p.m. Facility administrator Adam Patrick said Tuesday his staff moved about 75 residents next door to Legion Villa. No bomb was found.
But during the 3.5-hour evacuation, a patient died. That patient had been described as "terminal," but police and the prosecutor are awaiting the results of an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death.
If the death is found to have been hastened or caused by the threat, Calhoun County Prosecutor David Gilbert said his office would be forced to consider homicide charges.
But it will be some time before he has to make that call. The name of the person who died has not been released and the cause of death is still unknown.
It's also unknown who called in the bomb threat, but police told 24 Hour News 8 Tuesday their investigation is progression.
A little girl from Cedar Springs is about to get an early Christmas present: A new prosthetic hand.
MDOT will conduct an audit of a stretch of road where a Hamilton teacher died earlier this month.
A Bangor man who was arrested as part of a 190-person child pornography bust will spend time in a federal prison.