KALAMAZOO, Mich. (WOOD) - Someone carelessly smoking in bed caused a fire at a residence Thursday night, according to the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety.
Public Safety personnel were dispatched at 10:25 pm. to the 1500 block of N. Westnedge Avenue and noticed heavy smoke coming from the second story of a home.
The fire was extinguished and contained to the that portion of the residence, according to a news release.
Two adults in the home at the time were not injured.
Wednesday testimony alleged a Grand Rapids man admitted to family and friends that he killed his girlfriend Latrice Maze and put her body in a trash bin.
A domestic violence expert looked at dash cam video for 24 Hour News 8 Thursday that showed the Grand Rapids police response to an incident that allegedly happened the same day Latrice Maze disappeared.
A woman accused of perjury in connection to the homicide of Latrice Maze is back in jail.