1 Weather Alerts //See All >>
18 Closings //See All >>
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - Several West Michigan families celebrated the first day of 2011 with the birth of a newborn baby.
- Trevor and Danielle Lowis welcomed baby boy Trenton Lowis at Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids. Trenton was born at 12:19 a.m.
- At Saint Mary's Hospital in Grand Rapids, Sheri Stratton gave birth to Jayla Paige Gray at 3:44 a.m.
- Brandee Mulac, of Pullman, Mich. gave birth to baby boy Ashton Lukas David Mulac at Holland Hospital at 2:38 a.m.
- At Battle Creek Health Systems, Jennifer and Michael Mann welcomed their first child, baby girl Addyson Marie Mann, who was born at 10:44 a.m.
- At Borgess Hospital in Kalamazoo, Francesca Dixon gave birth to new son Demetryes Dixon Jackson, at 9:57 a.m.
- Bronson Hospital in Kalamazoo reports that at 12:01 a.m., baby girl Piper Rayne Groff was born.
- The first baby born at Metro Health in Kent County was Sookie Louise Tusing to the proud parents of Keith and Laurie Tusing.
Overall, there were close to two dozen New Year's Day babies born on Jan. 1, 2011.
A very dangerous situation was averted when crews contained a chemical leak during a fire at a business in Grand Haven Tuesday morning.
World leaders and joyous, singing South Africans honored Nelson Mandela on Tuesday at a rainy Soweto soccer stadium where U.S. President Barack Obama praised him as a "giant of history" and the last great liberator of the 20th century.
Celebrating one of his personal heroes, President Barack Obama praised Nelson Mandela as the last great liberator of the 20th century, urging the world to carry on his legacy by fighting inequality, poverty and discrimination.