GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - Young children playing with a lighter apparently set a Grand Rapids house on fire on the city's southwest side.
The man who lived at the house told 24 Hour News 8 his girlfriend and her three children all escaped the flames, though the woman suffered a minor hand injury. She was treated by paramedics.
He said he came downstairs and found the couch was engulfed in flames. He tried to put it out with a fire extinguisher, but it was too far along and started spreading quickly.
GRFD battalion chief Pat Felix told 24 Hour News 8 the children were playing with a lighter.
Everyone got out safely from the house on Butterworth SW, not far from the John Ball Park Zoo. The house suffered significant damage.
A Kalamazoo County sheriff's deputy will not face criminal sexual conduct charges.
A candlelight vigil was held Wednesday night for an innocent bystander who was shot and killed in October.
Police say they haven't been able to find out which student was responsible after a Muskegon kindergartner was choked with his own scarf on the playground.