GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - Six people escaped a Grand Rapids home after a child sparked a fire while playing with matches on a mattress, officials said.
Smoke detectors alerted the residents to the fire inside the residence in the 1100 block of Cromwell Avenue SE.
The fire started about 11:30 a.m. Friday in a lower-floor apartment where five of the residents were located at the time. The sixth resident was in an upper-floor apartment, officials at the scene told 24 Hour News 8.
The residence sustained significant damage after the flames spread throughout the building.
A memorial marker was unveiled for three young siblings who died in an apartment fire 10 months ago.
The Michigan State Police officer who was hit while policing a multi-vehicle wreck in Muskegon County Thursday morning says conditions on the stretch of US-31 where the crashes happened deteriorated quickly.
A western Michigan man has been sentenced to more than 10 years in prison after smashing his car into a tree, causing his pregnant girlfriend to miscarry and die.