GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - Fireworks that landed in dry tinder set off a fire that destroyed two garages and damaged eight adjacent homes Wednesday on the southwest side of Grand Rapids.
Neighbors told authorities kids were setting off bottle rockets from a house on Lynch SW in the morning. The fire started at 741 London SW and needed more than 20 firefighters to put it out, authorities said.
No one was hurt, but the fire caused $32,000 in damage, investigators said.
Fireworks such as bottle rockets, small mortars, roman candles, firecrackers and other fireworks became legal to own in Michigan on January 1. But the law prohibits igniting them on public property -- like streets and parks -- without the written consent of the owner.
Also, minors are not allowed to buy consumer fireworks and use any kind of fireworks under the influence.
Michigan law lets local governments to limit the use of consumer fireworks, and the city of Grand Rapids is considering putting limitations into place at a meeting on June 19.
In the Lynch case, GRPD detectives are looking into whether there is a possible criminal destruction of property case.
Vehicles occupied by a sheriff's deputy and a Michigan State Police motor carrier officer were hit.
A fire damaged three garages and some homes in a Grand Haven neighborhood early Thursday morning.
The suspects stole cash and fled the scene.