MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. (WOOD) - A Central Michigan University student has died from an apparent case of meningococcal meningitis, officials at St. Mary's Mercy Livonia Hospital confirmed to 24 Hour News 8 Friday morning.
Nicholas Collins, 19, of Livonia was a freshman and lived at Trout Hall.
Meningococcal meningitis is a bacterial infection of tissue surrounding the brain and spinal cord. Typical symptoms are a stiff neck, fever, headaches and vomiting. It can be spread from person to person by coughing, kissing or lengthy contact, especially if living in the same dorm or household.
Anyone who had close personal contact with Collins between April 30 and May 3 is asked to call --
- Wayne County Health Department -- 734.727.7078
- Central Michigan District Health Department -- 989.773.5921
- CMU Health Services -- 989.774.6577
- Their local health care provider
WWJ reports several CMU students are already taking antibiotics as a precaution.
A former teacher accused of having inappropriate contact with a student entered a plea Monday.
The Grand Rapids Public Schools Board of Education discussed Phase 2 of the district's Transformation Plan at a special meeting Monday afternoon.
Is your child safe when riding in the car? Results from a new study show that fewer Michigan drivers are buckling their kids up safely in car seats or booster seats.