PLAINWELL, Mich. (WOOD) - The police report from the investigation on the accidental overdose death of a Plainwell teen reveals the extensive network of the prescription drug trade in Plainwell.
On the morning of November 22, 2011, 18-year-old Tyler Warner was found dead of an accidental methadone and Xanex overdose, according to the police report. Xanex is a drug prescribed for anxiety and depression, while methadone is an opiate prescribed for pain.
The police report obtained by 24 Hour News 8 shows where Warner got both of the drugs.
Tyler Drewyor, 17, now faces felony delivery and manufacturing charges. According to the report, Drewyor admitted to buying methadone and selling it to Warner the day of his death.
The report unveils a text message conversation between Drewyor and a friend just a few days after Warner's death:
"I seen him the same night he overdosed. I knew he was going to go get ****** up, and I feel like I could have stopped him. I kind of feel responsible for it," the text reads.
He also texted another friend:
"The cops called on me a few days ago, and my friend Tyler Warner just died from an overdose on drugs. I was the one who sold him the drugs he ODed on and I feel like its my fault. Now the cops are looking for who sold Tyler the drugs and hopefully they don't find out its me," the text reads in part.
According to the report, Drewyor admitted to purchasing the methadone pills three days before he sold them to Warner.
The texts show Drewyor fronted the drugs for Warner, but wanted Warner to pay him $24 or $25 in return.
The day before Warner was found dead, someone who was with him told the investigating detective that Waner tried to borrow a dollar from his neighbor with special needs, but his father made him give it back. That person went on to say that Warner then pawned his headphones for $10.
Drewyor wasn't the only friend that gave Warner drugs the day he died.
A text conversation between him and another friend reveals where he got the Xanex:
"I wanna get xanax, wanna?" the friend texted.
Later that day, Warner and that same friend text back and forth:
Warner: "yes, need xanex and weed first"
Friend: "go pick it up from (another friend)"
Warner: "yep yep"
Friend: "15 a gram, 2 a MLg"
A few texts later, that friend went on to ask, "you wanna buy a box and get a gram?"
The day Warner died, his ex-girlfriend told police, his moods were very up and down. She even noticed his unusually small pupils, the teenage girl told police.
She also told police he'd told her that he'd taken more than one Vicodin that day.
Friends also told police that Warner was having a hard time talking, but showed no other signs of drug abuse the night he died.
In the report, many of Warner's friends told the detective that he openly admitted his heavy drug use to them.
Multiple teens saw him with large bars of Xanex, they said. Some of those same friends said they'd seen him take the drug the day before.
One friend said Warner had told him he took eight bars (2 grams each) of Xanex the day before he died. He told the detective he warned Warner of the danger, but Warner insisted he'd be fine.
Warner's ex-girlfriend was just one of the teens in the report who had voiced concern about his heroin use. Many voiced concern that he didn't listen.
Warner slept at his friend's house the night he died. His friend, a stepson of a Plainwell police officer, described what he saw when he got out of the shower to the detective. He said he saw Tyler "lying on the futon, bleeding from the nose, and he looked real pale. He knew he was dead."
That friend ran to his mom's daycare, which is directly next door, and she called 911.
According to the report, Warner's parents were very concerned about his drug use.
The day he died, Warner's mother told his ex-girlfriend she didn't know what to do with him. She said she'd been trying to get him enrolled in treatment programs, but he was refusing.
The report notes that Warner traded over-the-counter allergy medicine containing pseudophedrine for Xanex.
In the few days before he died, he was seen on surveillance video purchasing decongestants from two different pharmacies.
In the interviews with teens, many of them reiterated, "there are a lot of people that can give you Xanex."
Later in the report, it's noted that Warner's parents told the investigating detective, he had come to them for help two weeks before he died. They said they took him to Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services, but the follow-up treatment was scheduled for a later date. He died before he could attend.
In addition to methadone and Xanex, the medical examiner found traces of cocaine, marijuana, nicotine and over-the-counter painkillers in Warner's urine.
A Bangor man who was arrested as part of a 190-person child pornography bust will spend time in a federal prison.
Counselors provided conflicting testimony about whether Jonetta Woods could provide a safe home for her only surviving child should she regain custody.
A woman who was stopped by a Jimmy John's employee has admitted to stealing another woman's purse in downtown Grand Rapids.