24 Hour News 8 web staff -
PORTAGE, Mich. (WOOD) -- Police are investigating after a body was found in Portage Thursday morning.
The body of a man in his 50s was discovered around 9 a.m. in a set of bushes near Sprinkle Road and Meredith Street by a person mowing grass.
Police on scene told 24 Hour News 8 that they believe the body had been there less than a day. Authorities are ruling the man's death as suspicious due to where the body was found about eight to 10 feet back in the bushes and that he was alone.
"Due to the nature of where the individual was and located, it's suspicious," Lt. John Blue said. "From this standpoint we can't tell initially, however, this is still a death investigation."
Authorities have not yet released his name, but believe he lived in a nearby apartment. Police say family members made a visual identification at the scene.
It's unclear at this time if there was any foul play. Autopsy results will be completed Thursday to determine a cause of death.
Anyone with information is asked to call Portage Public Safety at 269.329.4561 or Silent Observer at 269.343.2100.
Portage Central Elementary principal...
Kalamazoo man sues after e-cig explodes
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Suspect will stand trial in slain teen's rape
- No school in Bangor Thursday due to threat
- Record February for Ford Airport
- Look up for International Space Station