24 Hour News 8 web staff - GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) -- A man arrested in connection to the shooting death of a teen on Grand Rapids' West Side is facing charges in a second murder.
Vicente Rodriguez-Ortiz, 22, was formally charged Friday with open murder and felony firearm in connection to the March 18, 2017 shooting death of Laurie Lundeberg.
Rodriguez-Ortiz was being arraigned Thursday on charges of open murder, felony firearm, felonious assault and domestic assault and battery in the death of 17-year-old Andre Hawkins when he asked the judge about his second murder case. Police confirmed a warrant had been issued in a second case shortly thereafter.
GRPD says detectives questioned Rodriguez-Ortiz about both murders after he was arrested Wednesday afternoon in the 1000 block of Bridge Street NW, several blocks away from Tuesday night's shooting scene.
Hawkins' death marked the city's fifth homicide this year.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- No injuries in Kalamazoo house fire
- Study: GR health care costs higher than Detroit
- Paw Paw schools reopen after threat
- Police: Latest Austin blast not tied to others