GRAND RAPIDS, Mich (WOOD) - As adults with crazy schedules, sometimes sleep can get thrown to the sidelines. Not getting enough sleep and feeling exhausted all day can turn into a big problem. Leisha Cuddihy is a a sleep psychologist with Spectrum Health Medical Group. She sat down with eightWest to share some ideas about dealing with insomnia and provided some answers to commonly asked questions.
What does a Sleep Psychologist do?
- Talk therapy for people who have insomnia
- Teach skills to get used to using a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Treatment)
When should I see a Sleep Psychologist?
- If you have insomnia and it isn't going away, even with medication
- If you have depression and/or anxiety that is doing better, but are still sleeping poorly
- Your doctors have told you that you need to use CPAP, but you have trouble wearing the mask at night.
What are good sleep habits I should be practicing?
- Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day
- Avoid substances that interfere with sleep (caffeine, nicotine, alcohol)
- Avoid napping during the day
- Get regualr exercise
Temperatures in West Michigan are expected to drop dramatically over the course of the next few days.
Joshua Hoppe, 30, from Zeeland was a teacher with Hamilton Community Schools.
Police are investigating a report of a home invasion, but say there are inconsistencies.