NEW YORK CITY, New York, (WOOD) - According to Travel and Leisure magazine, Times Square is the world's most visited tourist attraction, hosting over 39 million visitors each year. Approximately 300,000 people visit this area of midtown Manhattan daily and eightWest's Rachael Ruiz made a recent stop to check out the hustle and bustle of the city.
Here are five interesting facts she found out about this famous neighborhood.
1. Time Square was originally known as Longacre Square, but was renamed in April 1904.
2. In February 2011 Time Square become smoke-free.
3. In the Time Square neighborhood there are 40 theaters including 22 landmark Broadway theaters.
4. There are approximately 50 super signs advertising everything from clothing to food products to banking institutions.
5. In the Time Square neighborhood there are two police precincts, one NYPD 24 hour sub station and a fire station.
The extravaganza was Dec. 11, 2013 in downtown Grand Rapids.
Gary Rolls Jr. has announced he'll resign from the Kent County Board of Commissioners, effective Jan. 1, 2014.
A fire damaged three garages and some homes in a Grand Haven neighborhood early Thursday morning.