Marion firefighters battle a large garage fire behind 424 E. Lincoln St. in Marion, Ind., on Thursday, July 5, 2012. (AP Photo/The Chronicle-Tribune, Jeff Morehead)
Updated: Friday, 06 Jul 2012, 7:27 AM EDT
Published : Friday, 06 Jul 2012, 7:27 AM EDT
MARION, Ind. (AP) - Investigators in Central Indiana say a 12-year-old boy playing with a magnifying glass started a fire that destroyed a garage packed with a family's belongings.
Marion fire investigator Geoff Williams says the boy was burning paper, cardboard and fabric he found in the trash can when the blaze started Thursday evening. Williams tells the Chronicle-Tribune that the boy was careless and the fire spread because of dry grass.
No injuries were reported, but the fire burned a vehicle and its heat damaged three nearby houses and another garage in the city midway between Indianapolis and Fort Wayne.
Marilyn Huston says her family had moved from a larger house and had belongings such as her wedding dress, furniture and collectibles stored in the garage.
The Grand Rapids Griffins won the Calder Cup championship after defeating the …