ZEELAND, Mich. (WOOD) - Two high schools dismissed students Thursday morning after a piece of door closure hardware leaked oil in one of the buildings, causing a gas smell.
There was no gas leak at Zeeland East High School.
Students were evacuated and sent to Zeeland West High School as a precaution.
Emergency personnel investigated and deemed the building safe around 9 a.m., a district official said.
But the students at both schools were sent home so crews could clean Zeeland East High School to prepare for Friday's day of classes.
Students who need to remain at Zeeland West High School are allowed to stay in the cafeteria and will be provided lunch.