A water main broke near Adams Street and Gladstone Drive SE in Grand Rapids. (Jan. 23, 2013)
An attic fire broke out in Spring Lake on Sunday morning.
A man that was missing from Vicksburg since Friday has been …
A man has suffered serious injuries after hitting a tree and …
A man is recovering after getting shot in the foot.
Updated: Monday, 28 Jan 2013, 6:42 AM EST
Published : Friday, 25 Jan 2013, 10:48 AM EST
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - A boil water advisory was lifted Saturday for a Grand Rapids neighborhood after a 30-inch water main broke last week.
The burst occurred around midnight Jan. 22 near Adams Street and Gladstone Drive SE.
The concrete on the road and sidewalk collapsed above the pipe. Water gushed onto neighborhood roads, and damaged three homes and one vehicle. So much water spilled from the break that it froze into ice about eight inches thick in the area. A large tree sunk and tipped onto some utility wires and a natural gas line, which ruptured.
The broken pipe and sewers were repaired, and gas and electric service was restored to residences.
The loss in water pressure from the break meant residents in homes from Adams Street north to Hall Street and Plymouth Avenue west to Slyvan Avenue needed to boil their water before use.
Damaged roads will be temporarily fixed with asphalt millings, which will remain in place until permanent restoration in the spring, officials said.
Cleanup of sand and debris will continue for several days.
Residents with questions can call the City's Customer Service at 616.456.3200.