A family from Grand Ledge, Mich. found this frog in a bag of Meijer brand frozen vegetables. (courtesy photo via todayshow.com)
Updated: Thursday, 21 Oct 2010, 12:40 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 21 Oct 2010, 12:38 PM EDT
GRAND LEDGE, Mich. (WOOD) - A family from Eaton County found a frog in a bag of frozen vegetables.
Marty Hoffman shrieked when she opened the bag and found the animal the morning of Oct. 13 at her Grand Ledge home. She was about to make the veggies for the family dog who needs a special diet due to allergies.
The frog thawed out about as much as the vegetables had in the fridge overnight. It was near the top of the bag.
Marty and her husband, Tim, then photographed the frog and sealed up the bag. Tim then called the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's Detroit office. The person who took his report assured him the matter would be investigated and someone would get back to him about it.
Days passed and nothing seemed to happen. Tim Hoffman said he grew increasingly worried about whether the case of the frozen frog was part of a larger problem that could affect more members of the vegetable-buying public. So he then contacted the Lansing State Journal to get the word out.
Hoffman told the newspaper he wasn't in it for money; rather to inform the public and make sure it wasn't an isolated incident.
The newspaper called the Meijer store in Grand Ledge where the Hoffmans bought their store-brand vegetables. Store officials formally apologized to the Hoffmans and issued a recall of the frozen mixed veggies in question. Officials said they believe this is an isolated issue.
Hoffman said he was upset the FDA didn't call Meijer, and that it was the newspaper that had to inform the store.
Art Czabaniuk, acting director of the FDA's Detroit office, told TODAYshow.com that he couldn't comment on the specifics of the frog incident until the FDA's investigation into the matter is completed.
Hoffman told the website, "You know, it happens. We grow our crops on land, not in a hospital room. I know there are frogs, I know there are bugs, I know there are safety controls in place. No one got hurt, no one ate anything.
"We'll never open another bag of anything without looking at it first. If it had been in the middle of the bag, it would have gotten eaten, I'm certain of it. It just happened to be on top."
Information from TODAYshow.com