Published : Wednesday, 31 Oct 2012, 12:26 PM EDT
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - On a day like Halloween, learning how to best take care of your children's teeth is of utmost importance. Our newest Ask the Expert is Alexis Neuman of Advance Dental Smile and she has great advice for moms and dads to put into action. Here are her 10 secrets for raising cavity free kids.
10 Secrets for Raising Cavity Free Kids
(1) Daily cleanings in infancy will get your child used to the process. The sooner you start the better!
(2) Do not give your kids a bottle at night with juice or milk
(3) Toothbrush when first tooth erupts, fluoride toothpaste when recommended by your dentist around/after age 2.
(4) First dental visit should be by age 3
(5) Stop thumb sucking/oral habits (frequency, intensity, duration)
(6) Children need you to help them brush their teeth until about age 7
(7) Frequently snacking on sugar, soda, juice, or sports drinks throughout the day will lead to rampant tooth decay
(8) Diet soda is just as bad for your teeth as regular soda. Acidity does just as much damage as sugar
(9) Preventative care is extremely important: Fluoride applications and sealants
(10) Early Detection
FREE Initial Oral Exam and X-rays through November
Starting good dental health practices at a young age sets up ongoing and future habits throughout your child's life. Start today!
Ask the Expert
Advance Dental Smile
3930 Burton SE