GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - The lineup for the 2013 Art Van Concert Series, which will take place in downtown Grand Rapids on weeknights during ArtPrize, has been announced.
The series includes 21 local bands that will perform over 10 days in front of live audiences at Rosa Parks Circle.
The concert series is free and open to the public. On Tuesday nights, the performances will include a house band and a variety of performers. On Wednesday nights, jazz performances will be featured. The concerts on Thursday nights will be family-friendly and performances will run through 8 p.m. during the live broadcasts of Maranda: Where You Live.
The concerts will take place from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. during the live broadcasts of 24 Hour News 8 at 5 and 6.
It all leads up to the ArtPrize Finale Watch Party at Rosa Parks Circle on Oct. 4 with a performance by Domestic Problems.
- 9/23 – Thirsty Perch Blues Band*
- 9/24 – Nicholas James and the Bandwagon with special guests Kelsey Rottiers,* Andy Willey,* Sara Azriel*
- 9/25 – A Night of Jazz, featuring Roger MacNaughton and Friends,* & Serita and Jon of Serita’s Black Rose
- 9/26 – Troll for Trout,* Susan Picking, Diverse City*
- 9/27 – Simien the Whale*
- 9/30 – Kris Hitchcock & Small Town Son
- 10/1 – Chris Hansen & Hark Up Horns Big Band with special guests Josh Rose,* Lucas Wilson, Cole Hansen,* Michelle Chenard*
- 10/2 – A Night of Jazz, featuring Robin Connell, Steve Talaga*
- 10/3 – Cabildo, Grand Rapids Youth Symphony Orchestra
- 10/4 – Live Finale Watch Party featuring Domestic Problems
(*St. Cecelia Music Center ArtPrize Entries)
Complete Coverage: ArtPrize 2013
A bill before the House would hold back third-grade students who are not proficient in reading.
Power lines blocked busy 28th Street near the Grand Rapids-Kentwood border Monday evening.
Former South African president Nelson Mandela will be honored Tuesday morning with a public memorial service expected to be viewed by people around the world.